Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Bunny Bottle


Today we went on a field trip to Farm and Fleet to buy an oversized hamster bottle (called a Bunny Bottle!) for Caine. We want him to have as many options as possible when it comes to drinking. He did put his face under the waterfall and gulped a couple of times. After he ate, we forced him over there again but he didn't want any water. We are going to try his routine before the accident. He would get up, then eat breakfast first. He'd then go outside and come in and go straight to the water bowl. Tomorrow we're going to try that and see how it goes. Maybe he'll remember his old routine and go to the water bowl himself.

Caine also tried chicken broth ice cubes this afternoon. He liked them! He had two before he lost interest and I pushed him towards the water fountain. We want him to get used to the feeling of liquid going down his throat in addition to the meatballs. When he was outside earlier, he and Roxie had a large icicle that they were both holding on to. Caine chewed on it a bit but lost interest when something else caught his attention.

Caine also has an article at PeoplePets.com: http://www.peoplepets.com/news/pets-in-the-news/dog-doing-amazingly-well-after-losing-tongue-in-paper-shredder/1

It's amazing how many hits you get if you type in Caine and paper shredder. I'm so happy that there are many sources that have picked up his story to help spread the word. That is all we ask for.

One of my students from last year has started a fund raiser. I want to say a special thank you to Izzy and her friends for thinking of Caine. Hopefully you can help us roll meatballs for him! It's so nice to think of everyone who has Caine in their thoughts but they've never met him, including my students right now. He is such a sweetheart, he'd win anyone over.

We figure there are around 30 meatballs in each can, and he gets 4 cans a day (a little more than 4 while he's healing). That's 120 meatballs a day! We are constantly rolling meatballs to make sure that Caine has enough for the next day.

Thank you to everyone who has donated on Caine's behalf. I know most of you, but some of you are complete strangers to Caine and yet your heart has gone out to him. I have people from all over the country who have read about Caine and donated, or even just told everyone they know his story. Thank you so much!







11 comments:

  1. Hello, I just heard your story on dogster.com. There is a forum in Plus Fun called "60 Seconds" Dogster News.

    In case you have never heard of it, it is a website for dogs and dog lovers. I'm sure that if you made a dogster for Caine and contacted Dogster HQ and was approved to ask for donations you would reach MANY dog lovers. You would have so much support and possibly even suggestions that you haven't already thought of.

    It is just an idea, I understand if you can only keep up with a few internet-based things at a time. But I just wanted to let you know that Caine and your family are in my prayers.

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about Caine. Glad he's got such a good supportive family to help him through this.

    Just a thought that might be helpful...

    Don't know if you're using any utensils in your "meatball"-making process, but if not, you should consider trying a cookie scoop. It might make the process faster and easier.

    Something like this:

    http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=598803

    (Don't worry, I'm not trying to promote the website, it's just the best example I found of cookie scoops).

    They come in different sizes, so depending on how big you make the meatballs, you can probably get one that would be suitable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we had thought of that but just haven't been able to get to the store. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley,'

    What about making meatballs out of groundbeef or ground turkey? Is that alright for him to have?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read your story on PeoplePets, and my heart went out to you and your pup. I could not even imagine having to go through that ordeal with my own dog. I will continue to support your cause, and I hope to keep hearing about all the progress that Caine makes. Best Wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad to see all the good news about Caine! I work with your Mom and I know Caine is so lucky to have your family. My heart goes out to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Caine in his new shirt! I love how many people you have reached and are following Caine! :)

    -Manda

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S. I finally got my comment to work! I think it was my Mozilla!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Former fourth grade student,
    Hi Ms.Taylor. Its Erin. I heard about Caine. He's so cute. I can't believe what happened to your poor baby. Me, Isabelle, Simone, and Olunife are figuring out ways to help. We all helped make meatballs for Caine today. Hope Caine feels better soon. Even though I've never seen him I love him already!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Girls & Olunife! Thank you so much...you are all too sweet! The world needs more kids like you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. He looking better. Thank goddness he have a loving family. I always look at the new pictures and just happy to he how far he have got. Brenda

    ReplyDelete