Monday, January 25, 2010

Water Fountain and dry food SUCCESS!



After romping outside, Caine just came in and drank from his fountain!! We are SO EXCITED! We did lower it so it is a bit below his eye level, and he drank a lot because we could hear the reservoir bubble with the decrease in water level. We gave him lots of hugs and kisses to praise him and encourage the drinking from the fountain. He tilted his head to the right and just drank like he's been doing it his whole life.

This evening we also had Caine try some dry dog food. This was recommended by Dr. Mann at the University of Missouri. He said that I will not have to make meatballs for the rest of my life (yay!). Hunger will drive him. We put about a cup of dry food on a plate to make it easier for him to get into his mouth. I dribbled some water on it just to make it a bit less crunchy. He was definitely motivated to eat that. I did open up a can of Evanger's all natural wet dog food and he also ate that from the plate. I gave him the food off of a spoon too, which he took with no problem.

He probably ate about a 1/4 of the dry food cup. I gave him the entire Evanger's food, and then about 30 meatballs. For dessert, he had a ball of cream cheese and a piece of strawberry.

Earlier today my mom gave him a couple jello balls. He didn't care for the cherry chicken flavor, but did take them if tossed. He ate about 7 or 8. He did drop one on the floor and then stepped on it. He didn't like the feel of jello between his toes.

Later tonight I'm going to try the dry food again. He wont be that hungry, but I think he'll be hungry enough to try to eat it. By the time he was done with the plate of dry food, it was full of slobber!

Caine is really adapting well to his new way to eat and drink.






5 comments:

  1. Aw, so glad to hear that he is adapting so well and is moving towards full recovery. Since reading this story, I have noticed even more so how much my dog uses her tongue for different things and wondered how you are coping with the simple actions of their natural desire to just clean themselves with their tongue?
    I really commend you for sticking by him and giving him the chance to live a full life despite this unfortunate accident.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm so happy to hear that. I been reading and checking how his been. I'm very happy. God bless him alway and the wonderful family he has for not losing the faith in him.

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same water fountain for my cat and wondered if Caine would be able to use a water fountain like that. I'm so glad to hear that he's doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It makes me happy that Caine is doing so well that you don't have to report on him daily anymore. No news is good news! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dog was cute while drinking on its Drinkwell Pet Water Fountain. I want to buy also my dog like that because I was inspired on your dog. Thanks for posting it here.

    ReplyDelete