Saturday, January 2, 2010

Caine's Story


Welcome!

Caine is a 2 and a half year old Rhodesian Ridgeback/boxer mix. He is a 75 pound lap dog and is a true gentle giant. He befriends everyone he meets and was known to lick faces out of pure love.

On January 1, 2010, a horrific accident happened at my home. Caine, who is naturally curious, got his tongue caught in a paper shredder. What happened next is nothing short of terrible and horrendous. Between the commotion of the other family dogs, the shredder turning on, and my mother trying to calm the situation, Caine just couldn't take it. He chewed through his own tongue, turning our kitchen into a blood stained room that looked like a murder scene.

Caine was rushed to an emergency veterinarian who stitched up the wound. Caine's entire tongue was bitten off during the accident and he has nothing left. Right now, he is undergoing the insertion of a PEG tube into his abdomen. This feeding tube will ensure that he gets adequate nutrients while we are re-training him to eat.

Tongues are very important organs. For a dog, they not only cool them down, but also help to guide food to the esophagus instead of trachea (breathing). Caine will have to re-learn how to eat and drink in a way that he will not use a tongue. Caine, who is very active and outgoing, will also have to cut back on his physical activity. This is especially true in the summer. He is more likely to overheat now that he is missing his tongue and this can cause fainting and vomiting.

We will be using the feeding tube for the first couple of days, but we are going to start training him to eat meatballs (wet food made into little balls) and water (from a syringe and bowl). We want him to adapt as soon as possible so he can become more independent. At the vet this morning, she was able to put a meatball at the back of his throat and he swallowed. We hope that eventually we can make a game out of it, where we play Meatball Toss and he catches them in his mouth. We will also try just using a spoon. Our biggest concern right now is aspiration, or choking.

The veterinarians I have encountered have not been what I expected. Two out of three brought up euthanasia, which is not an option for my family. Caine is not a dog to be written off. He is well motivated which means he will learn quickly and try his best. It was only when I searched online that I found wonderful survival stories of dogs in a similar situation. Caine and I are going to prove those vets wrong.

12 comments:

  1. Ashley,

    I am so glad to hear that Caine is doing well. Please let Amanda and I know if you need anything at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caine is so lucky to have you! Love you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to have read about what happened. If he survived that he can certainly relearn what he has to. I just wish you the best of luck. Pets are not just pets they are family members. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart is broken. I just heard about Caine from an old friend through facebook. I have called all of my friends and family with dogs and told them to unplug their shredders if they have one. I have reposted this blog to my facebook page. Your boy sounds like a determined and strong soul, I am sure he will be back to "normal" in no time at all. He is very lucky to have people like you who didn't give up on him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat,

    I have a huge lump in my throat thinking about what Caine and all of you went through. I will email all my friends. You know how I feel about animals,they are so a part of us. It sounds like Caine is an amazing animal and will learn very quickly. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am so sorry about wat happened i hope that he learns and i also had a acciident with my dog but not as bad as urs and now that my dog iz 15 and she should have gone when she was 8 imscared to leave her at home when i go to school and she only gets along with 1 of my other dogs
    i hope he doesnt change he sounds like a amazing dog
    u r so lucky to still have him all the best

    ReplyDelete
  7. You spoke to my daughter at Pet Smart yesterday. If you ever want to contact me she will put you in touch. My 2 years old lab had most of her jaw removed due to cancer. It's now 3 years later. She's doing great. Her tongue hangs out. I Could not put her down either. The surgury was done in Hinsdale. She's fat and happy. Had to learn how to eat and drink by herself. She would not let anyone put anything in her mouth. She refused unless she could do it herself. For water, I give her a large silver mixing bowl and she dips her jaw and head in it and gets water that way. If you need support you know where to find us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey A-Tay and Caine....I recently got my first puppy from a shelter and am always yappin about him at work. A coworker found an article on Caine and though I'd be interested in seeing it. As soon as I saw the article, before I even read the caption I noticed it was you. I am so sorry to hear about your baby. Hang in there. You guys are in our thoughts and prayers. He'll make it through this. He's got awesome parents!

    ReplyDelete
  9. awww im in tears as i read what your poor doggie went through. i am a dog lover myself and can imagine the horror your family (caine especially) has encountered. youre amazing to fight for him and not fathom euthanasia. keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing your story. I have two labs that I feel the same way about. When I get home, I am turning the shredder OFF. Keep up the amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. From, Erin Former fourth grade student

    I'm so glad Caine is doing well! I heard about the newspaper. Today me, Isabelle, Olunife, and Simone made the meatballs. We are trying to think up more ways to help. Tell Caine I said hi. He is so cute. Tell him I said feel better. All your old friends at Brookwood Middle School.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How I wish there was an update as our 9 week old pup bit his whole tongue off today. He has come out of surgery and he will be reassessed in the morning, if he is well enough he will come home tomorrow afternoon. I pray to God that he will adjust and eat and drink. It is the most horrendous thing to witness.
    God Bless our wee Tyler xxx

    ReplyDelete