Sunday, January 3, 2010

First Day Home

Today we picked Caine up from the Veterinary Specialty Center in Buffalo Grove, Illinois. He is very groggy and is on a pain killer that is more potent than morphine. We were also instructed as how to feed him. The first two days he will be fed every 4 hours. It takes about one hour to feed him because we can only give him 5 cc's of water at a time. Then we wait for 30 seconds and repeat that process. He will get 250 cc's of water at each feeding. He then is on a prescription dog food called Max Cal by Iams. He will eat 48 cc's of that 4 times a day. Day three changes. He will eat less often but the same amount. By the end of the week he will be down to just 2 times a day but the same caloric intake.

He is wearing a tee shirt that is tight fitting to keep the feeding tube out of his reach and out of his way. The area is still very sensitive as is his mouth. He is out of it, but we don't want him to feel any pain.

The doctors at this veterinarian said "the prognosis for him to be able to eat and drink on his own is very poor. We presume he will be dependent on his feeding tube for the rest of his life. Being that he does not have any use of his tongue, I do not recommend feeding him by mouth." It really upsets me that I have numerous vets telling me that he will never be able to eat again and have suggested euthanasia. I do not appreciate the pessimism.

I've since been in contact with veterinarians at the University of Illinois. I will be calling their clinic tomorrow, but I've already had a response that said there are many dogs that have lost their entire tongue. These dogs have been able to regain full use of their throat as far as water and food. This is wonderful news! If something like this happens, or you are told you need to put your pet down, RESEARCH! I am so thankful for the internet now because of all the success stories I'm finding.

Pictures and video coming soon...keep cheerleading for my boy! Unplug your shredder!

Check out this site for more inspiration:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/paper-shredders-risks-and-dogs/page1.aspx

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad he is doing fine and happy that he have a family that loves him very much...I hope he keep doing good.....try one of those bottle of water with a little tube that hamster use may'be... just an idea..I hope he really keep doing good..

    ReplyDelete